gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
7155 Posts in 927 Topics by 28 Members - Latest Member: Dog Star 19 May 2024, 04:02:59 pm
gfx* Home | Help | Search | Calendar | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Forlorn Hope  |  General Category  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: heeeeellp, in need of some computer aid!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: heeeeellp, in need of some computer aid!  (Read 2786 times)

Neodragus

• WoW guild
  • Praefect
heeeeellp, in need of some computer aid!
« on: 7 December 2008, 11:30:03 am »
Right, as post says, my computer has aids... I mean, ermm, what? I need help with my computer! Since the latest WoW patches and all the Wrath releases... I have been having severe trouble with my computer, the error code is all here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228753

I have no idea what the hell any of the errors in my event viewer mean though!!

So, i'm deciding to just say, sod it to my old computer, find out what went wrong with it when i've got the time to go through it with someone that can tell me, and just start again. Either that, or, if getting a kill disk for my hard drive would work on getting rid of any internal errors on the HD would work. I have no idea, this is going into territory that i'm not overly familiar with, and I know there are some real good computer wizz's here, so what better place to ask!?

Now, if I could just sort it all out with a kill disk, thats great =D

If not, I need to look for more, cheap computer parts, as I do have a lack of money as i'm still the un-employed bum that i've always been, ever since I had the fluffy hair at my first FH Meet, and, probably will be for a little while...

Hopefully people can get back to me soon, all the best.
Neo

p.s first post in a very long time! I was looking at a few of the photo's from the guild meet and stuff here, tbh, I miss that =(

Naaman

• Global Moderator
  • Proconsul
Re: heeeeellp, in need of some computer aid!
« Reply #1 on: 7 December 2008, 10:48:55 pm »
Hey Neo :)

Did you get any other part of the message?

0xC000000E, or STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE: the drive went unavailable, possibly a bad hard drive, disk array, and/or controller card.

0xC000009A, or STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_RESOURCES: lack of nonpaged pool resources.

0xC000009C, or STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR: bad blocks on the hard disk.

0xC000009D, or STATUS_DEVICE_NOT_CONNECTED: bad cabling, non-termination, or the controller is not able to obtain access to the hard disk.

0xC000016A, or STATUS_DISK_OPERATION_FAILED: bad blocks on the hard disk.

0xC0000185, or STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR: improper termination or defective cabling of SCSI-based devices, or two devices attempting to use the same IRQ.

A few of them relate to bad RAM, grab Memtest and run it on an overnight loop. Anything red means bad RAM.

Could be hard drive issues, run chkdsk (Start > Run > chkdsk.exe) and do the fullest scan you can.

Could also be worth getting a new hard drive anyway, they're dirt cheap. Install Windows on the new drive and see how that goes, don't have to worry about backups as it'll be on the old drive.

If you want to go the route of a new PC I specced a PC recently that was a good solid build for £350, it's probably come down a bit since then
When eyeing a large and dangerous mob...
...A Tanker says, "Stay here while I distract them with my rock hard (granite) body."
...A Brute says, "Stay here while I let them kill me so I can kill them faster!"
...A Scrapper says, "Stay here while I.....ya know what, screw it---CHARGE!11!!1!!11!!1!!

Neodragus

• WoW guild
  • Praefect
« Reply #2 on: 5 January 2009, 06:28:47 pm »
ok, never used Memtest before, and i've taken forever to reply because of being away on holiday for christmas and new year.

Anyways, memtest:
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Which one should I get?

Naaman

• Global Moderator
  • Proconsul
« Reply #3 on: 5 January 2009, 06:56:43 pm »
ok, never used Memtest before, and i've taken forever to reply because of being away on holiday for christmas and new year.

Anyways, memtest:
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

Which one should I get?

That one, download it and extract then use your CD burning software to 'burn from image'
...A Tanker says, "Stay here while I distract them with my rock hard (granite) body."
...A Brute says, "Stay here while I let them kill me so I can kill them faster!"
...A Scrapper says, "Stay here while I.....ya know what, screw it---CHARGE!11!!1!!11!!1!!

Paladinftw

« Reply #4 on: 6 January 2009, 12:43:33 am »
ahh nice ok cool =D thanks, i'll keep you posted on how it updates (posting on paladinftw as i'm round his house and it's auto sign in =D)

Twylyte

« Reply #5 on: 6 January 2009, 09:12:32 am »
I've still got my old PC lying around
I have motherboard and upper memory and a (once) powerful graphics card you can have if it turns out you need them.
You might find a trip to Johns in Redhill might get that thing running again but hopefully it won't come to that.

Mark

Neodragus

• WoW guild
  • Praefect
« Reply #6 on: 7 January 2009, 06:52:52 pm »
hmmmm it appears one of my ramsticks are dead, and that puts me under minimum requirements for WoW o_O that'd be why it's only wow thats mucking up then ... hmmmmmm

Naaman

• Global Moderator
  • Proconsul
« Reply #7 on: 8 January 2009, 11:43:41 am »
Download CPU-Z, unzip and run. Click the SPD tab and tell us what you have written in for "Slot 1" and "Max Bandwidth". Also if you could crack the side of the machine and have a peek at how may RAM slots you have and how many are free :)

Forlorn Hope  |  General Category  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: heeeeellp, in need of some computer aid!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx